Sunday, February 25, 2007

Ray Kurzweil has another book

Just found out that Ray Kurzweil, renowned technologist and scientist whose book The Age of Spiritual Machines I read, has written another book called The Singularity is Near. I found The Age of Spiritual Machines a fascinating read, especially how he predicts that humans and robotics will merge together and how computers will surpass human intelligence. This is the vision of AI scientists (AI stands for artificial intelligence). Remember the movies Bicentennial Man, Artificial Intelligence:AI, and John Mnemonic where humans get implanted with computers and circuits inside their bodies. I kind of see something like that in what Ray Kurzweil says.

However, this is going to cause a moral debate because if we start adding computers and circuits to improve ourselves and alter our makeup, then we begin to cross the fine line of whether we are tampering with creation of which God created us. It's been a long time since I've read a Kurzweil book, this book looks interesting. However, I have so many other magazines that I haven't read, and papers to read for my own PhD research and thesis. I don't know if I'll even have the time to buy or read this book.

On Technorati: ,

No comments: