Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Do not install Newsmonster!

I came across Newsmonster, web-based feed aggregator for Mozilla Firefox. It's cross-platform, and the GUI looked really nice in the browser and has support for offline browsing. So, I thought hey this is really good, cause right now I am using Feedreader, which is a Windows application. So I have to open Feedreader in order to read my feeds that I subscribe to. Most web-based feed readers that I've looked at like Google Reader, My Yahoo, Bloglines, do an ok job but it looks very crude in presentation at best. This looked like the web-based feed reader that I've been looking for. Alright, then, I said, I'll go and download it, and it's an extension for Mozilla Firefox.

After I finished downloading and installing it, I restarted Firefox, and I saw Newsmonster on the right side of Firefox in the browser. I tried to customize it and play around with it. This is where the nightmare began. I couldn't customize it, and I couldn't go to any web site, and the entire Firefox browser was frozen. But, I couldn't even exit the browser or close it! Then, I went into the Windows Task Manager to kill it. I then ran Firefox again, but the browser wouldn't come up. I thought that's strange, so I killed it again. And again. And again. I thought maybe my computer is acting up, so I'll defrag my hard drive. I did, but still that didn't work, then I decided to reboot my XP machine. Still to no avail. I decided to do a Google search on Newsmonster and Firefox hanging, and lone and behold, many people have complained about Newsmonster and Firefox freezing!

After about 30 minutes, I was able to uninstall the extension and restore back Firefox. Lesson learned, never install any software that has the word "monster" in it! I was about to work on writing some code for mining the data for my research, but it got put off because I decided to install Newsmonster. Bad move. I'm glad that others have posted the solution to uninstall!

So, let this be a warning to you all. Don't install Newsmonster!

Technorati tags:

No comments: